Friday 16 October 2015

The Bedside Table Stack #12


Two of my favourite genres are gracing the bedside table books this month and I couldn't be happier about it. Take a look at my October reading list:

The Girl in the Spider's Web by David Lagercrantz :: My beloved Millenium trilogy has been continued and my thoughts halfway through reading this book are: it's just as awesome as it's predecessors. Lisbeth Salander and Mikhael Blomkvist are back in another twisty adventure and honestly I can barely register when reading that this isn't a Stieg Larsson novel. (To be fair I finished the last book about eighteen months ago and my memory can be a little rusty at times so take that with a grain of salt.) It has taken a few chapters for me to really get into the plot as Lisbeth is fairly absent in the beginning but now that I'm halfway through I really really want to find out what happens.

The Virgin Blue by Tracy Chevalier :: Despite Chevalier being one of my favourite historical fiction authors I'd never picked up one of her most well known novels. I really like the premise of this book which connects a woman with the secrets of her ancestral past in a tiny French village. I've always found family secrets and ancestry to be a bit fascinating, mainly because every family seems to have them.

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke :: Okay so you know I love me some historical set fiction as well as magical realism. So when I find a book that combines both of these elements it makes me go all heart-eyed emoji. Actually, the main reason this book caught my eye is I remember seeing the ads for the BBC series of the same name and thinking ooooh that looks gooood. At 1006 pages it's probably going to be the longest book I've ever read if I do indeed finish it. Expect a review in about six months time!
SHARE:

2 comments

  1. I love The Virgin Blue. It is intense, my heart beat so fast it almost jumped out of my chest. The Girls in The Spider web is what makes me continue reading Millennium series, I am glad they can keep the book alive even when the author is not here with us anymore.

    Great pick as always, Francesca!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thans for recommending Virgin Blue, I saw it at the library and thought I had to finally read it!

    ReplyDelete

© Sundays and Ink. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY pipdig