Wednesday 13 May 2020

Top Ten Tuesday: DNF Books



I used to do Top Ten Tuesday's all the time, but it's been years since I've rounded up my favourite books that fit the weekly theme. First of all, my TTT happens on a Wednesday, because hello timezones, and this week the theme is books we Did Not Finish. I've tried to sum up why I DNF each book as succinctly as possible.

Moby Dick by Herman Melville :: I talked in my last post about being separated from my Kindle thanks to the lockdown, for the past six weeks. To combat having a lack of access to books, I downloaded this book (for free) onto my phone. I don't know what to say other than that I just don't gel with some overly flowery classics. I thought I would enjoy this book, since I lived in New England for the past year and a bit, but I could not deal with the convoluted language.

Emma by Jane Austin :: This is actually a firm favourite of mine! I downloaded it onto my phone and I think the main reason I stopped reason is I found a physical book to read. No idea what that book was but I would re-read Emma in a heartbeat.

A Moveable Feast by Ernest Hemingway :: Sensing a theme here? I think there are classics that help you ease into the writing of old authors, and A Moveable Feast was not that book. The book is a bunch of stories told from Hemingway's point of view about life in the 1920s. I don't know what I was expecting but it felt like a lot of rambling with some famous names (Fitzgerald) thrown in for good measure.

Hitman Anders and the Meaning of it All by Jonas Jonasson :: I don't think I've ever read, or at least finished, a Jonasson book before. He had huge success with the 100 Year Old Man and The Girl Who Saved The King of Sweden. I think the writing style just doesn't hook me in that much. I like humorous books, but I felt like this book kind of banked on 'getting' the humour of his past work in order to keep you entertained.

Love Unscripted by Owen Nicholls :: This had all the hallmarks of a book I would enjoy; references to cinema, a love story, kind of snarky characters. I just couldn't get into this book. It's an adult romance, which is fine, but after reading the exceptionally cute Again, But Better, (which is YA) I just found the characters a little grating and unlikeable. It's told in retrospect, so a lot of flaws in their love life are discussed but...there was something about airing all the negative elements of the character's relationship that put me off being invested in their story.

None of these books were 'bad' reads, I just struggled with my own expectations to really get into any of them. I'd love to know if you enjoy any of the books I have mentioned above and what your most recent DNF books are.

SHARE:

7 comments

  1. I don't generally do well with overly flowery classics either. I think I got about three pages into Moby Dick before giving up. LOL. So you're not alone there.

    My TTT .

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not big on classics either, but I did love EMMA when I read it a million years ago. I should re-read it, especially since I want to see the new movie. I need a refresher!

    Happy TTT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I find it easier to read each time, but its actually one of my all time favorite books. I'd love to see the new movie too. Thanks for stopping by <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good on you for attempting to read Moby Dick! I don't think I'll ever read it. It seems like a tedious encyclopedia on whales...

    My TTT list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Karnataka Secondary Education Examination Board (KSEEB) is the primary education board that was established in 1964 with its headquarters in Banglore, Karnataka. The main focus of the board is to devise the syllabus and course structure for various classes. Kar 8th Class Textbook It is also the responsible body for conducting Karnataka state board SSLC exams, Karnataka state board PUC exams and other state-level exams. The books are carefully curated by the Karnataka board for all classes based on the devised syllabus.

    ReplyDelete

© Sundays and Ink. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY pipdig