Saturday 13 February 2016

Reasons To Read: Outside of Your Comfort Zone


Comfort zones are nice aren't they? They're all cosy and relateable and most of the time we know exactly what to expect from them. But you know what? They can also make things a little bit boring and predicatable which was exactly how I felt about my reading preferences nestled safely between historical and contemporary fiction.

But, when I stepped a toe outside do you know what I found? There's some really exciting things going on. Things that I'd always convinced myself I wouldn't like, maybe because at one time or another I'd passed up a book or stumbled my way through a novel that just didn't work for me. Time and again I'd pick up a book from a genre I'd convinced myself that I wouldn't like and would put it back on the shelf again. I'd screw my face up at things like Sci-fi and roll my eyes at anything classified for teenagers because at one point I didn't like those things so I thought I never would.

And then something happen. Lets call it a little bit of FOMO. Or a realisation that there's legit like a million books I've mentally crossed off my nope-not-going-to-read list for what are really quite stupid reasons. As it turns out I've found exciting things outside my comfort zone. Angels and demons and monsters that don't actually exist and that you wouldn't find walking the halls of a Downton Abbey-like manor (although I would totally read that book!)

There's girls with blue hair whose parents aren't human, teenagers grappling with things that if you remember totally sucked when you were a teenager - crazy family dynamics, awkward romances and School demands, that are totally hilarious and awesome and wicked and funny and entertaining. And it's kinda like, farrrk, all this time I've not been reading any of these great things?

The thing about going outside of your comfort zone is it kind of makes you want more. I want different types of demons, I want worlds where payment in teeth is totally normal and there is more than one concept of time. I want to read things classed as Science fiction which has totally never been on my radar before. I want historical fiction to meld with zombies and references to David Bowie, because why the hell not?

When was the last time you stepped outside your reading comfort zone?
SHARE:

4 comments

  1. Indeed! For a long time I thought I wouldn't enjoy urban fantasy/sci fi and a few other genres. But with the right book, say Dark Currents by Jacqueline Carey or The Girl in the Road by Monica Byrne - it helps break out of a pretty stifling place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see you've been reading books by Laini Taylor... :-) Isn't she great?!

    I'm not a big science fiction reader, but I read a book called Illuminae a few weeks ago - it's an epistolary novel, made up of graphics and chat transcripts and little bits of code - and it's pretty mindblowing. You might like it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard good things about Illuminae and the way it's written with all different media sounds really interesting. I liked Throne of Glass but I'm not sure if I'll read the whole series, I'm glad I gave it a go though!

      Delete

© Sundays and Ink. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY pipdig