Tuesday 14 July 2015

The New Book Trend: Bloggers and Book Deals


It's hard to ignore the latest trend in the publishing industry. Every month there seems to be a new blogger or Youtuber getting a book deal and since both blogging and books are kind of my jam I thought I would take a minute or two to pen some thoughts on what can be a divisive topic. I say divisive as there seems to be just as many people thinking this shouldn't be happening and rolling their eyes in disgust or armies of super fans that will be opening their pockets no matter what products their idols put out.

Personally I don't think bloggers or Youtubers getting book deals is either a good or bad thing. I can definitely see the benefits to publishing houses who are looking at new markets and many internet stars have just as much influence - if not more - than some celebrities. But I would be lying if I didn't roll my eyes or feel just a wee bit like this new trend can feel less like projects of passion and more like a quick way for publishers to make a buck when more and more books are hitting the market.

I guess when it comes down to it my only concern is with the integrity behind such books. I don't think we can paint every person who gets a book deal through their blogging or video influences with the same brush. There are many beauty bloggers who have released books that are unique to their tastes and have obviously been filled with love and hard work within each page. As someone who likes to spend her time writing things on the internet I can only imagine how exciting it must feel to be offered a project of your own from a publishing house. Who in their mind would turn down such an opportunity?

I guess I just worry that too much of a good thing cheapens what some people have worked quite hard to achieve you know? It makes sense to me that people who spend their time blogging and writing every day would want to put their words into a physical form. But there's also a part of me that doesn't want this to be a quick way for publishers to make money before abandoning anything future bloggers or Youtubers put out that might be worthy of attention because it's brilliant not just because they are popular.

When it comes down to it, I think the reasons for why and how bloggers and youtubers are putting out books is much more important than the fact that they are publishing books. If these works are coming from a place of integrity, creativity and passion for their project I'm totally on board. Oh, just don't abandon the very thing that your readers or viewers helped you get that book deal with though.
SHARE:

2 comments

  1. Such an interesting post. Personally, I am inclined to think that there's some prejudice towards bloggers and vloggers, especially in comparison to regular celebrities. Where we're used to celebrities publishing endless books we're still coming to terms with the unprecedented popularity of certain bloggers / vloggers. IMO if they've become so successful by publishing unique content online, they have a lot more to offer a book deal than the latest celebrity so I'm a lot more in favour of books by bloggers than other well known people! xoxo Louise | Reads and Recipes A literary lifestyle blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so true. I think some people think that because 'we' as viewers have created their fame they shouldn't be treated like celebs but anyone with a high profile will get opportunities especially since bloggers and vloggers have such large audiences which they have worked hard for.

    ReplyDelete

© Sundays and Ink. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY pipdig