Thursday 9 July 2015

The Best Books I've Read So Far For 2015

I can’t believe six months of the year have been and gone already. Reading-wise 2015 has been a pretty awesome year in terms of great books. Although I started off the year with a total fail and had to abandon the first book I was reading out of boredom since then I’ve read some ah-may-zing books that I think you should read too! You should know by now I’m a big fiction/historical/contemporary fan so most books fit under these categories but I have been making an effort to read from a wider variety of genres and have even discovered I like New Adult fiction, a genre that I had actually never heard of until last year. So if you’re stuck for something to read check out my favourite books so far for 2015.

YOUNG ADULT
The Diviners by Libba Bray. Oh Em Gee. This is one of the best books I’ve read pretty much ever. I loved the pace and excitement of the storyline and Evie O’Neill is the bees knees as a fun and lovable character. This book spans Paranormal and Young Adult two genres which I’ve never been much interested in but oh boy I just loved the mystery and slightly creepy elements in The Diviners. Fans of historical fiction like myself should probably make a move to pick up this book as it was the rich descriptions of 1920s New York and Evie’s totally cute teenage slang that I also fell in love with. The good news continues as the second book in this series is out later this year.

FICTION
Landline by Rainbow Rowell. I was a little bit slow to the Rainbow Rowell party this year as I think this was one book people were gushing over in 2014, but the wait was ultimately worth it. Landline is a fiction novel that takes place after the sparks and the first inklings of love take over. In fact Georgie and her husband Neal have been married for years and now their relationship is in big trouble. When a work emergency sees Georgie having to stay in L.A over Christmas, Neal packs up their children and takes them to Omaha for the holiday. I loved how realistically the relationship between Neal and Georgie was portrayed. This book removes the rose tinted glasses and instead presents us with two not so perfect characters who have to decide whether to make it work or pull the plug. Also there’s a magic freaking telephone, so that’s pretty great too.

The Collected Works of AJ Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin. Well what a delightful little book this turned out to be. I had completely missed anyone talking about this book so my Dad gets extra points for gifting me this for Christmas! This was a really heartwarming and lovable book from start to finish which follows bookstore owner AJ Fikry through some pretty major life changes. Being set in a bookstore and filled with lots of book related references anyone who has a love of reading is pretty much going to adore this book.

NEW ADULT
Must Love Otters by Eliza Gordon. If it’s laughs you are after and a sweet romantic storyline I can’t recommend this book enough. I was constantly chuckling to myself throughout this book which is narrated by the hilarious Holly Porter, a disillusioned twenty something who hates her job and has a seriously lacklustre relationship with her boyfriend. Holly’s unique and witty outlook on life is the single most enjoyable thing about this book and although the plot didn’t exactly blow me away, I really really freaking enjoyed this book and sometimes that’s all that matters.

HISTORICAL
The Girl You Left Behind by Jojo Moyes. I had to include at least one historical novel and this book by Jojo Moyes really blew me away. Split between the present day and the first world war, this is the story two women, connected in time through a beautiful painting, must find their strengths to fight for what they love.

What books have you been loving so far this year?
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Sundays and Ink. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY pipdig