Sunday 14 June 2015

Reasons to Read: Chick Lit


Despite the fact that I hate the name of this genre some of my most favourite books are of the Chick-Lit variety. Here are some of the reasons that make this genre great:

They can be fun and a bit silly. Reading books that make me feel good are a guaranteed way to pick me up out of a down mood. If I'm tired, stressed or just feel like reading something that's guaranteed to be fun, there are so many chick-lit books that are a great pick-me up thanks to the hilarious escapades of the main characters.

They can touch on serious issues with a light hand. Some of my favourite chick-lit books actually deal with pretty heavy subject matters. From alcoholism and family dramas to topics such as euthanasia, sometimes humour and a light touch can bring these issues to light in a easy-to-digest kind of way.

The characters are relatable. And it has to be said often make me feel a tiny bit better about my own embarrassing moments in life. There is a bit of Bridget Jones in all of us and sometimes it is just nice to read about characters who don't have their shit together and their lives sorted out either.

They celebrate friendships. Ever noticed how important friendships are in Chick-Lit novels? Yeah it's often the girl/guy relationship that is the main goal but I love how many novels have an eccentric and slightly crazy group of friends supporting our main character.

It's an unashamedly sparklier version of reality. For those moments when I just want to be whisked away into a more shiny, sparkly, happy or glamorous version of reality, Chick-Lit novels will win every time. Part of the fun of reading fiction of any kind is the escapism value and Chick-Lit usually brings this in spades.

My Favourites: Bridget Jones' Diary by Helen Fielding, Me Before You by Jojo Moyes and Rachel's Holiday by Marian Keyes.
SHARE:

2 comments

  1. I have to admit that I can be a book snob sometimes. I personally find the covers offputting, they tend to be pink and sparkly which has never been my thing. However, as I've started being sent books to review + reading more of them, there are some genuinely brilliant ones which tend to get lost among the 100s of copycats. Bridget Jones, for instance, is amazing and so funny but sometimes I think publishers know people will buy them just because it's a genre they enjoy rather than actually being committed to only publishing the really good ones.... if that makes sense?

    Apologies for the waffly comment! xoxo Louise | Reads and Recipes A literary lifestyle blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I have to admit I have an aversion to overly pink sparkly covers too but I'm trying to be less judgemental. I just think the name 'Chick Lit' is very offputting and it kind of annoys me as there really are some fantastic funny and thoughtful books from this genre.

    ReplyDelete

© Sundays and Ink. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY pipdig