Sunday 17 May 2015

Reasons to Read: Crime and Thriller Fiction

Image
Years ago crime fiction was not a genre I ever saw myself getting into. But then along came a little book series called The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo and it really had me hooked. Here are my favourite reasons for reading Crime fiction. (FYI many of the books I mention can also come under the Thriller and Mystery genres too).

It's Thrilling But Not Scary. For readers (like me) who can't stand horror or having the wits scared out of them crime fiction is a mellow option. I love getting absorbed in the mystery elements of crime novels and often like to be scared just a little without thinking that an axe murderer or worse a Stephen King character is going to get me.

It's Realistic. While I've never been a big fan of the Jack Reacher novels (not enough mystery as to whether he will survive/solve the case, everything wrapped up in a nice little bow) True Crime especially is very much centred in the real world. I would thoroughly recommend books by Dennis Lehane that are dark, gritty and have you guessing whether the main characters will solve the case and make it out alive.

It's Plot Plus Characters. There are so many great crime novels that are action-packed and fast paced due to the plot line but have added emotional depth due to the character development. Jo Nesbo's Harry Hole series of books are a great example of this - an alcoholic and emotionally damaged detective who is brilliantly good at his job.

Twisty Endings. I do love nothing more than a good psychological thriller that gets inside your head. If you love twists, surprises and never being able to accurately guess the ending of a novel then this genre is definitely for you.

My favourites: Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn, Shutter Island and Gone Baby Gone by Dennis Lehane, The Leopard and The Son by Jo Nesbo, Girl With The Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson, The Cuckoo's Calling and The Silkworm by Robert Galbraith.

So, if you have never been a fan of the genre I hope my reasons for loving crime and thriller novels might sway you to pick up a copy.


SHARE:

2 comments

  1. What a great blog post. I really enjoy Thrillers too. If I may make a reading suggestion? Check out Little Black Lies by Sharon Bolton ... it's great and it sounds like you might really enjoy it. My review is at http://constantlymovingthebookmark.blogspot.ca/2015/05/a-falkland-islands-mystery.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Christine! I'll have to check your review of Little Black Lies out :)

    ReplyDelete

© Sundays and Ink. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY pipdig