Saturday 24 January 2015

Favourite Book to Movie Adaptations


These days it seems like books are made into movies so quickly that it's hard to even have a chance to read them first. I'm already a bit gutted that I've watched The Drop (book by Dennis Lehane) before having a chance to read the book - but it was that good that I will definitly be reading it at some point.

I'm definitly a book first, movie second kind of person. Reading gives me the chance to develop the characters in my head myself and explore a lot more of the story before seeing a directors take on it. With so many great book to movie adaptations I thought I would pick out my favourites - these are all books and movies that I find hard to pick a favourite format over.

Bridget Jones Diary by Helen Fielding. This will forever be one of my favourite, most funny and loveable characters in my book collection. When it comes to the movie I really think the cast couldn't be better with the original Mr Darcy played by Colin Firth and a smug Hugh Grant playing Bridget's boss and love interest Daniel Cleaver. I think I've watched and read the book and movie in equal measures!

High Fidelity by Nick Hornby. Failing record store owner Rob Gordon takes us through his top 5 failed relationships, if only to prove that his most recent relationship breakup hasn't effected him. John Cusack captures Rob's character as a redeemable arsehole pretty perfectly and although the book is British and the movie American this book to movie adaptation is perfect.

Breakfast at Tiffany's by Truman Capote. I know how much people harp on about this iconic movie and the lovable gamine Audry Hepburn but the book is truly sublime. Holly Golightly's character is truly as sparkly and delightful on the page. If you are a fan of the movie you must pick up the book as it's too good not to get lost into.

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. I was a bit skeptical that the movie could be as good as the book as The Book Thief was one of my favourite reads of 2013 but I could quite happily watch and read both over and over again.

What are your favourite book adaptations that you think transitioned to to the big screen perfectly?

**This will be my last post for a few weeks as I'm about to embark on a wee holiday probably sans convenient internet connection. I'll be back posting at the beginning of February, in the meantime take a look at the archives section or the most popular posts if you're after some good reading recommendations!**
SHARE:

1 comment

  1. West Bengal Class 10th Time Table 2021(Madhyamik) is made available by the West Bengal Board of Secondary Education (WBBSE), The timetable has been released by the West Bengal Board of Secondary Examination (Madhyamik Pariksha) for the year 2021 for WBBSE Question Paper 2021 WBBSE 10th Model Paper 2021 is released by the West Bengal Board of Secondary Education in the pdf form. Students should download the WB Bengal Madhyamik Questions paper 2021 and practice it.

    ReplyDelete

© Sundays and Ink. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY pipdig