Tuesday 25 November 2014

The Favourites Bookshelf


It's about time I did a round up of my favourite books . Choosing a favourite book is such a toughie as I find, like music, it really depends what kind of mood I am in and whether I feel like reading something to inspire, entertain or get lost into. I chose this selection of books because they are all titles that I can re-read multiple times and I still feel the same sense of emotion on the tenth read as I did on the first.

Bridget Jones' Diary. Bridget Jones never ceases to make me laugh. I absolutely love reading this book and in general it's the type of thing you can read to make you feel better about your own foibles.

Harry Potter 1-7. I adore all of the Harry Potter books and have read the whole series multiple times. I would be hard pressed to choose a favourite of the series. As well as obviously being a cracking good read I love the banter between Harry and Ron, and that Harry goes through the moody teenage years just like any other kid.

One Flew Over The Cukoo's Nest. This is one of the books from my Dad's collection that I just love to re-read. McMurphy, a tough drinking rebelious gambler treats his stint in a mental institution like a prolonged holiday. But his rebellion against Nurse Ratched turns into a dangerous game. Nurse Ratched has to be one of my most hated characters of all time and this book is at turns funny, shocking and sad.

Catch-22. I remember the first time I read Catch-22 and just being utterly perplexed at the entire plot. It's the kind of book that every time I read it again I pick something else up that I never quite got before. Yossarian, a WW2 bombadier is constantly coming up with schemes to get him out of flying more missions before he gets himself killed. Fans of dark humour will love this book.

To Kill A Mockingbird. Scout from To Kill A Mockingbird has to be one of my favourite characters of all time. There is such a complex range of emotions that this book brings out and despite it's heavy topic of justice in the segregated south Scout's character adds an element of humour and childhood innocence to the story.

High Fidelity. Even though I was only a child in the 90s this book has a real sense of nostalgia to it that only books about music can. Whe record store owner and music-obsessed Rob is left by his girlfriend he is left re-evaluating his life and past failed relationships. Rob is a seriously flawed and ultimately an anti-hero character. He's not even a nice guy and yet with the backdrop of great 90s music and a great sense of humour this book never fails to disappoint. A must read for anyone who loves a good laugh and doesn't take books to seriously or has a thing for 90s music.

Girl with a Pearl Earring. I have a deep love for historical fiction novels, mainly because I'm a history nerd at heart. I think the fact that Girl with a Pearl Earring is based upon such a famous real life painting the story has a realistic element to it that I can really get into. I love the way that Tracy Chevalier brings to life the relationship between artist and muse.

Have you read any of these titles? I'd love to know what are your favourite books!
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Sundays and Ink. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY pipdig