Tuesday 12 April 2016

Top Ten Tuesday: Feminist Reads


Today's Top Ten Tuesday is a selection of books brought to you by the F-word that still gets a bad rap, particularly on the internet. Here are ten Feminist reads that every human should take a look at:

How to be a Woman by Caitlin Moran :: This book is hilarious and is part-biography part-feminist manifesto based around stories from Caitlin's life. She covers everything from wedding culture to beauty and babies and just generally has a wicked outlook on life.

Girls in White Dresses by Jennifer Close :: Speaking of wedding culture I haven't actually read this book but it's been on my radar for a while. It tells the story of three woman navigating their own lives while dealing with a never ending round of weddings and bridal showers. I'm at that age where every month seems to bring a new wedding invite and endless questions into my own (happily and actually not that into the whole idea of marriage thanks) unmarried status so I'm sure to get a kick out of reading this.

#Girlboss by Sophia Amoruso :: Not strictly a feminist book but I read this business book about Nasty Gal CEO Sophia Amoruso's rise to success and it really resonated with me as someone who is both young and female. The majority of business books seem to be about older white men so to be given advice from someone in my own generation was invigorating. Prepare yourself for sassy feelings of world domination after reading!

The Beauty Myth by Naomi Wolf :: Written in 1988 the year of my birth, I read this when I was 25 and was shocked to discover that we've really made zero progress when it comes to the pressure that women face on their bodies. If anything the rise of social media not to mention both obesity and anorexia are also a concern for womens' health today mean we've probably sliding backwards more than ever. A grim read yes, but many of Wolf's ideas resonated loudly with me.

A Room of One's Own by Virginia Woolf :: I've never read anything by Virginia Woolf (runs away and hides in shame) but after my own outburst at my significant other about not having a 'me' space own I think this book is actually quite fitting.

Have you read any of these books?
SHARE:

3 comments

  1. I want to start reading more feminist books, and I think I'm going to start with Caitlin Moran books. I already read and loved her YA novel How To Build a Girl, and I loved it! :D Great List!
    My TTT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm such a fan of the feminist lists, because I love feminist literature. I think I'd also add Audre Lorde's Sister Outsider as well!

    My TTT: http://brownbooksandgreentea.com/2016/04/12/clearing-the-shelf-for-arc-april/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Omg I really want to read these. Like asap...because I only realised the other day that, even though I call myself a feminist, I really don't read enough about it. Something I'm not happy about!! I have a few feminist books on reserve at my library, so I'll see if they have these too. ;D
    Thanks for stopping by @ Paper Fury!

    ReplyDelete

© Sundays and Ink. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY pipdig