Sunday 29 March 2015

Authors to Note: Jeffrey Eugenides


Jeffrey Eugenides has always been an author that I have been in awe of. His capacity for writing books that pull the reader in and immerse them completely is what always has me excited about his novels. Here are my favourite books by this accomplished author.

Middlesex. This really is an epic novel. Although the story begins with a young girl who will soon journey through pubescence and into boyhood to truly understand his journey Eugenides takes us back through his parents and grandparents story. Despite it's scope Eugenides paints a clear picture of the struggles of a young boy born into the wrong body and his unusual path into manhood.

Virgin Suicides. One of my favourite ever novels, the writing in this book is so dreamy and etheral it creates a picture encased in fog in your mind. The story of five daughters who are housebound by their strict parents after pushing the boundaries on their severe curfews. When the youngest daughter commits suicide the sisters suffer even more greatly from their oppressive parents. The story is told from the point of view of the boys in their neighbourhood who feel compelled to save them and adds to the mystery surrounding this odd family and their daughters.

Have you read any of Jeffrey Eugenides work?
SHARE:

4 comments

  1. Hi, you have an amazing blog here. I have followed in GFC, can you follow me back?

    http://www.finithajose.blogspot.in

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm glad you think so, sure I'd love to check out your blog :)

      Delete
  2. I haven't read any of Jeffery Eugenides work but I would love to; I hear a lot of good things about his work. The one thing holding me back? I would really like to read Virgin Suicides, but I saw the film first. I'm always wary of reading the book after watching the film.
    :-)
    Life’s Open Pages

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The film and book are very similar (both very good) but I see your point! I have the book and film tangled up in my head and it's hard to remember them seperately.

      Delete

© Sundays and Ink. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY pipdig