Tuesday 3 March 2020

Everything I've Read In January and February 2020



I read a lot of books this January and then managed to follow up that number with one measly book in February. While numbers aren't everything, I thought I would summarize everything I got through and whether I would recommend these books to you!

January:

Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie :: Okay, this was actually something I read in December, but I have to include it because it is so good. I love reading novels that are set in different places around the world. I loved getting an insight into what life in Nigeria is like and enjoyed the insights on race and culture in Nigeria and America.

How to Stop Time by Matt Haig :: An adorable little book about a man who does not age and what that means for his relationships. I've read a few Matt Haig books before, and while I enjoyed this, I much prefer his book The Humans. I think his sense of humour is a strong point of his writing, more so than writing a romantic book. Still a great read but if you've not read any of his books start with something funny.

The Beantown Girls by Jane Healey :: This was an interesting read about four girls who sign up to be "Red Cross Girls" during World War Two. Since I don't ever read war novels, it was a nice insight into an aspect of the second world war that I didn't know about. I didn't warm to Healey's writing style immediately and found that the book felt a little factual, or like it breezed past events rather than describing them. In saying that I actually cried reading this, so the characters eventually got under my skin!

F-Stop by Eliza Gordon :: Eliza Gordon is my guilty pleasure read. Her books "Must Love Otters" and "Hollie Porter Builds a Raft" are what I read when I need comfort, and they are delightful and silly, and I don't care. F-Stop is set in British Columbia (as are the two books I mentioned). It follows Francesca or F-Stop, who is on a mission to prove that she's just as capable at photography as her award-winning father and overbearing brother. Cute, silly, romantic, easy to read but more forgettable than Must Love Otters.

Everything I Never Told You by Celeste Ng :: This novel is told in a similar style to Little Fires Everywhere, there are multiple characters and multiple points of view. It follows an Asian-American family after the death of their middle child. I really like the way Ng writes weaving in multiple storylines so effortlessly, but this book was less gripping than Little Fires which I LOVED.

The Flat Share by Beth O'Leary :: While this book had a cute concept at its core, it was kind of forgettable. I found it was the "will they, won't they" concept — two flatmates who basically take shifts sharing a one-bedroom flat and never cross each others paths — was what kept me reading rather than the plot or characters. It did have a bit of depth in the storyline about abuse and control, but overall I didn't overly enjoy this read.

This is How it Always Is by Laurie Frankel :: A fantastically told, thought-provoking read, I really enjoyed this story about how Claude grows up to become Poppy. While Poppy's family are supportive of her transition, their decision to keep secrets puts pressure on the whole family. It's impossible to read this book without having some realization that love, understanding and compassion are essential for children and families that are navigating their own gender paths.

My Sister the Serial Killer by Oyinkan Braithwaite :: Before reading this book, I had assumed this was about a metaphorical serial killer. Nope! The main character really has a sister who is as beautiful as she is deadly. I love this book for its original story. I also loved reading a contemporary novel from Nigeria that wasn't about anything other than how to deal with a murderous sibling.

February:

Educated by Tara Westover :: While this was a good read, I can liken it to The Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls that came out about ten years ago. Both books are memoirs about young women growing up with parents that don't believe or value modern-day education (or healthcare). Maybe it's just because I read The Glass Castle first and loved it, but I felt like Educated didn't make as much of an impression on me as Wall's book did.


SHARE:

1 comment

  1. Assam books is mainly to offer greater benefits to the students and help them be on par with other board students. The board is also of the opinion that by following such textbook and syllabus it will help Assam board students AHSEC 11th Class Textbooks to prepare productively for national level competitive exams. The Assam Higher Secondary Education Council also consist of prominent educators and members who are always focused on bringing the most relevant and best quality of education for students

    ReplyDelete

© Sundays and Ink. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY pipdig