Sunday 22 February 2015

Authors To Note: Tracy Chevalier

When it comes to historical fiction (my favourite of genres to read) you really can't look further than Tracy Chevalier. Here are my favourite books from this much loved author:

Girl With A Pearl Earring. I mentioned in my favourites bookshelf that this is one of my most adored books of all time. The story captures the mundane and everyday life of a dutch servant girl who captures the eye of master painter Johannes Vermeer. This book whole heartedly captured my imagination and transported me fully into its 16th century surroundings.

Burning Bright. Thomas Kellaway and his family move from rural Dorset to the bustling streets of  London. Chevalier mixes history with fiction as she includes characters from real life including Philip Astley and William Blake, but it's her descriptions of London life, it's packed streets and colourful inhabitants that really bring this book to life.

Remarkable Creatures. The story of two women who make remarkable discoveries of fossils, buried beneath the earth millions of years ago. In an age where women weren't involved in the scientific community Chevalier's female characters fight to have their discoveries noticed and accredited to them.

Falling Angels. Chevalier captures the suffragette movement as women fought for the right to vote. Told from multiple points of view Falling Angels captures the difficulties in this mother-daughter relationship and the careful balance relationships are built on.

Have you read anything by Tracy Chevalier?




SHARE:

6 comments

  1. Chevalier is responsible for making me love historical fiction. Her book "The Virgin Blue" is the first historical fiction I read, and since then it's one of my favorite genre. I like the way she does the narration and she's an expert in making the readers fall in love with her characters.

    You know, the more I look at your book lists, the more convinced I am that we kind of have similar taste :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read The Virgin Blue! I'll have to check it out. I think she's really good at creating strong female characters too, which is something I love. You know what I think we do have really similar taste in books, I've noticed that as well!

      Delete
    2. "The Virgin Blue" is excellent. I also read "The Unicorn Tapestries." It was a little slow starting off, but it got better as it went along. "Falling Angels" and "The Girl with a Pearl Earring" are great. I look forward to reading the other books you mentioned.

      Delete
  2. Remarkable Creatures and Burning Bright are the two I really like. I felt the Lady and the Unicorn was a bit of a disappointment but maybe that was just me. Falling angels is one I have not read but it is on my list of novels to get to. Tracy Chevalier is a great introduction to historical fiction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think I enjoyed the Lady and the Unicorn the least of all of her books. If you haven't yet read The Girl With the Pearl Earring I really enjoyed it. It's probably a bit more subtle than any of her other works for me it is a standout. Thanks for commenting :)

      Delete
  3. Hence, this decision of layering the examination process based on academic necessity is surely a commendable step taken by the CBSE board, ensuring the learners of an effective and result-driven education system. Uttar Pradesh Board 12th Model Paper 2021

    ReplyDelete

© Sundays and Ink. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY pipdig